Our dynamic growing company is looking for a Digital Fabricator to create sculptural objects using a Kuka Robotic Milling Workcell. The ideal candidate will have a unique blend of mechanical and structural thinking, artistic sensitivity and knowledge of large scale sculptural processes, digital modeling skills, and project management experience.
A proven ability and eagerness to learn new technologies autonomously is a must. Candidates need to be very comfortable working in a deadline driven environment fulfilling multiple projects and tight production timelines.
Summary of Required Skills
- Expertise with the following software programs: Rhino 3D / ZBrush or Maya or Similar Sub-D Modeler / Sketchup / Adobe Creative Suite ( Photoshop and Illustrator) / Microsoft Office
- Proven CNC experience with a 3 axis or 5 axis machine programming and operation of highly contoured parts. Proven ability or aptitude to learn multi axis setups for large scale parts and assemblies.
- Ability to manage workflow from concept sketches, multiple design CAD platforms, 5 axis programming in Powermill, running robot with quality control procedures, to final fabrication in composites or hard-coating.
- Awareness of DFMA (Design for Manufacturing and Assembly) engineering constraints and ability to divide CAD models into components that are machined separately and recombined into assemblies. Ability to utilize quality control methods to maintain processes.
- Experience with a Kuka Robot is highly preferred including tool path programming in Autodesk Powermill. Enthusiasm to learn offline simulation of robot programming in Powermill.
- Willingness to be hands on in the production process including maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the Kuka Robot area as well as hotwire cutting and assembling of EPS foam.
- Knowledge of machine tool and base offset setups, use of caliper, dial gauges, and traditional indexing setups for multi part large scale fabrication being aware of GD&T issues with assembly mating.
- Critical thinking skills both with software and mechanical aspects to be able to maintain robotic workcell, comfort working in Windows based environment, willingness to learn basic knowledge of KRL programming language for robot troubleshooting with outside expert support. Troubleshoot on site with programming and mechanical aspects of the Kuka Robot.
- Ability to provide art direction and management of digital modeling process to conform to design intent.
- Solid and effective communication with internal and external clients through meetings and graphic presentations and ability to incorporate actions items and responsibilities into project management tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Solid carpentry skills and the ability to easily read and generate diagrams and plans for construction department.
- Able to lift and move large scale materials up to 50 pounds.
- Comfortable working in a warehouse environment.
- Willingness to work extra hours particularly to meet deadlines.
- Experience and sensitivity to working on artistic and sculptural endeavors
This is a full-time position in New Orleans. Local candidates are preferred. Interested candidates should submit both a resume and cover letter via our online job application form. An (online) portfolio is recommended.
New Orleans, October 2016